Tuesday May 8, 2018
Cooking with Kate: Make Brunch for Mom
With Mother’s Day just around the corner (May 13), get the kiddos involved with these delicious, kid-friendly recipes that pare down the time in the kitchen so that you and your family can spend more time celebrating the wonderful moms, step-moms, grandmas, and aunts in your life!
View our special Mother's Day ad for great savings on brunch ingredients!
Ultimate Blueberry Streusel Muffins
Don’t be alarmed if the batter for these muffins looks dry…they will bake beautifully and be rich and moist on the inside!
For the muffins:
2¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
12 ounces (about 1 ½ cups) fresh or frozen blueberries. If using frozen, do not thaw the blueberries!
¾ cup sugar
½ stick butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup (4 ounces) plain Greek yogurt
For the streusel:
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons (¾ of a stick) salted butter, softened
THE BLUEBERRIES ARE HERE, THE BLUEBERRIES ARE HERE: Our stores have just received the first crop of the season from local growers! Find your fresh blueberries in store today!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- For the streusel: In a small bowl, mix the flour and sugars with the softened butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- For the muffins: In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Gentle toss the blueberries in the flour mixture. In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs for 30 seconds until foamy and lighter in color. Add the sugar and melted butter and whisk to combine. Fold in the vanilla extract and Greek yogurt until well mixed. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Divide batter evenly into the sprayed muffin pan. Generously sprinkle with the streusel mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Cool for 3-5 minutes in the pan before removing and cooling completely on wire racks. Enjoy warm or room temperature. Muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
Honey Lime Fruit Salad
This sweet and citrusy fruit salad is perfect for a brunch! The salad will keep for a couple of days in the fridge without the fruit getting mushy or discolored.
1 large pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced
2 cups red or green grapes, washed and cut in half
1 pint strawberries, washed, stemmed, and cut in half
1 cantaloupe, peeled, cored, and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 stone fruits, pit removed and cut into bite-sized pieces (Think: mangoes, nectarines, plums, pluots, or peaches)
3 apples, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces (Pink Lady, Cameo, Gala, Fuji, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or your favorite)
1 pint fresh blueberries
¼ cup good quality honey
Zest and juice of 2 limes
Wash and cut up all fruit and place in a large bowl. Add honey, lime zest, and lime juice. Gently toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Mother's Day pairs well with flower arrangements—learn how to make your own beautiful bouquet!
Quick Breakfast Quiche
Quiche is a flavorful and versatile egg pie that can easily be made a day or two in advance to save time.
1 (9” or 10”) deep-dish pie shell, unbaked
1 cup half and half
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dried dill weed
1 dash cayenne pepper
The listed measurements are per quiche.
Ham and Cheddar:
1 cup diced cooked ham
½ cup diced green onions
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1 cup diced cooked ham
½ cup green pepper, diced and sautéed
½ cup onion, diced and sautéed
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Bacon and Onion:
1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
½ cup caramelized diced onion
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
8–10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed (drain spinach very well once thawed)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup green pepper, diced and sautéed in a little butter just until soft
½ cup white onion, diced and sautéed in a little butter just until soft
1 ½ cup shredded cheese (Cheddar, Monterrey jack, Swiss, or combination)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, half & half, and spices. Whisk until well blended. Add desired variation ingredients to unbaked pie shell. Toss gently to mix. Pour egg mixture evenly over meat/cheese/veggie mixture. Use the back of a spoon to gently push all ingredients underneath the surface of the egg mixture. Bake for 40-55 minutes until the quiche is light and golden brown on top and puffed. Quiche might jiggle slightly, but should not be runny. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Visit your local Brookshire Brothers for all your Mother's Day needs today!
View other recipes from Brookshire Brothers Catering Coordinator, Kate Rudasill.
Kate Rudasill, Catering Coordinator for Brookshire Brothers, has been in the food-service industry for the past 14 years. As a graduate of Texas A&M University, a student of The Texas Culinary Academy, and a Nacogdoches, Texas native, Kate grew up with Southern tradition in her blood which caused her to have a deep love for bringing people together with food.
CATEGORIES: Cooking with Kate