Posted on Tuesday, February 2, 2021
Instant Pot Cubano Sandwiches
For the shredded pork:
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat 2
- teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- ½ cup chicken broth
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- For the Sandwich:
- 1 pound thick sliced ham
- 1-2 loaves soft French bread
- 8-10 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sliced dill pickles
- Butter for toasting the sandwiches
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, cumin, red pepper, and oregano.
- Place the pork shoulder into the Instant Pot and sprinkle all over with the seasoning mix.
- Add the minced garlic to the pot and pour the orange and lime juice and chicken broth over the pork.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid in place, making sure the venting valve is sealed.
- Set Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 65 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, and then carefully turn the venting valve to release the remaining pressure. When the pressure pin drops, remove the lid.
- Remove the pork from the cooking liquid and shred once cooled. Then, stir the shredded pork back into the cooking juices to absorb some flavor.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl and set aside.
- When ready to assemble the sandwiches, slice a loaf of French bread in half and spread both sides with the sauce.
- Top one half of the bread with a good portion of the shredded pork followed by several slices of ham.
- Shingle the Swiss cheese slices over the other half of the bread and top with pickles.
- Combine the two halves to make a whole sandwich and cut into individual servings.
- Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of butter.
- Place a portion of sandwich into the melted butter and, using another heavy pot or pan, press the sandwich into the pan to flatten it. Cook until golden brown, flip and repeat until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwich portions and serve.
Visit your local Brookshire Brothers for all of your game day needs.