Slow Cooker Overnight Steel Cut Oats
- Generously coat the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients for the oatmeal base recipe to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Add additional ingredients depending on which flavor of oatmeal you are making (Apple Pie, Cherry Almond, etc). Stir to mix, cover, and cook on low for approximately 6-7 hours (slow cooker times can vary).
- Serve with additional milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, and/or toasted nuts.
- Cooked oatmeal stores great in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave with a splash of milk.
- Recipe can easily be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time by 1 hour.
Beef Stroganoff Meatballs
- In a large slow cooker, add the melted butter and sliced onions. Cover with the lid, and cook on high for 15-20 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Add the broth/consommé, golden mushroom soup, sliced mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, and onion soup mix. Mix well. Add frozen meatballs and toss to coat in the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water to make a thin paste. Add cornstarch mixture to slow cooker and stir well. Continue to cook, covered, for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until sauce is thick and glossy. Stir in sour cream just before serving.
- Spoon over mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles.
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- For dry or canned beans, rinse the kidney beans thoroughly under water.
- Add the kidney beans, sausage, garlic, celery, onion, bell pepper, Creole seasoning, hot sauce, dried thyme, bay leaves, and chicken stock to a large slow cooker, sprayed with non-stick spray. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 6-8 hours*, or until the kidney beans are soft and cooked through. *NOTE: If using canned beans, reduce cooking time to 3-4 hours.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. For additional spice, add in more hot sauce. Remove and discard the bay leaves before serving. Serve over cooked rice, garnished with green onions.
Visit your local Brookshire Brothers for all your slow cooker needs!
Brookshire Brothers Commits to Helping Families Eat at Home Together More Often During National Family Meals Month
The proven health and societal benefits of family meals inspire a month-long event aimed at helping families get back to the table
- Kids and teens who share meals with their family three or more times per week are significantly less likely to be overweight, more likely to eat healthy foods and less likely to have eating disorders.
- With each additional family meal shared each week, adolescents are less likely to show symptoms of depression, less likely to use/abuse drugs and less likely to engage in delinquent acts.
- People who eat most the most home-cooked meals eat healthier and consume about 130 fewer calories daily, on average, compared to people who cook less or not at all.
Gather 'Round The Table
Week 1: Bring the family together for PIZZA NIGHT
Meal In Minutes
Week 2: Mom's Night Off
Let's Taco 'Bout Family
Slow Cooker Shortcuts
Week 4: Slow Down For Dinner
The Great American Milk Drive provides milk and its high-quality protein to families in need during September's Hunger Action MonthTM.
That gallon of milk you consider a staple in your refrigerator is missing across Texas and Louisiana, but Brookshire Brothers and its partners want to change that.
During National Dairy Month in June, Brookshire Brothers and David’s customers donated thousands of dollars at the registers to ‘help fill the glasses’ of children throughout our market area. During the next week, vouchers for nearly 8500 gallons of milk will be distributed to nine food banks to give to their clients.
According to Feeding America®, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, milk is one of the items most requested by food bank clients, yet there is a nationwide shortage because it is rarely donated. That’s because Americans are generous with canned and dry goods, but milk is much harder to donate because it’s perishable. Feeding America clients receive the equivalent of less than one gallon of milk per person per year. The Great American Milk Drive, the first-ever national program to help deliver highly desired and nutrient-rich gallons of milk to hungry families who need it most, is working to change that in Texas and Louisiana and across the country.
Hunger impacts 1 in 6 Americans, including nearly 16 million children, who may be missing out on milk’s nine essential nutrients. Hunger has no boundaries and is a problem that exists in urban, suburban and rural communities.
September is Hunger Action Month. It’s an ideal time for our company and its partners to help fill nine food banks with milk. 8,307 vouchers have been sent to the following food banks: East Texas Food Bank, Houston Food Bank, Capital Area Food Bank of Texas, Southeast Texas Food Bank, Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana, Food Bank of the Golden Crescent, Food Bank of Central Louisiana, Tarrant Area Food Bank and the North Texas Food Bank. Those food banks will give the vouchers to their clients who will exchange them at their local Brookshire Brothers or David’s store for a gallon of milk.
Since the Great American Milk Drive launched two years ago, more than 400,000 gallons of milk have been donated to people who rely on the nation’s food banks to help supply their families with not only food but also the good protein found in milk that helps power their potential. Karolyn Davis with the East Texas Food Bank adds, “Milk is among our most requested items. We are grateful to The Great American Milk Drive and Brookshire Brothers and its customers for making these donations possible.”
Feeding America is the nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. It provides food through 60,000 food pantries and meal programs in communities across America. Individuals, charities, businesses and government all have a role in ending hunger. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Educate. Together we can solve hunger. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
September brings thoughts of cooler weather and holidays, but take advantage of one of the best summer fruits available, grapes! Our Produce Pick of the Month will have you ready to make this mouth watering salad year-round.
To download PDF, click here