Be Aware. Be Prepared. As hurricane season begins, we encourage you to gather supplies and create a Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Kit. When a disaster hits, having the right emergency supplies can mean the difference between life and death. Be ready for whatever storm lies ahead by packing these supplies in a ready-to-go fashion.
- Water (When in doubt, have more than enough water. A general tip is 1 gallon per person per day)
- Batteries (Gather enough batteries for a three-day supply)
- Multi-purpose tool
- Non-perishable food (Family members will each need enough food for three days)
- Personal toiletry items
- First aid kit
- Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio
- Sleeping bags/blankets
- Essentials for your pets
- Select a waterproof container/bag for all supplies.
- Gather important documents and store a stash of cash.
- Make an emergency plan.
- Store your emergency kit in a safe place.
- Adjust your kit and plan as your family structure changes.
- Keep a local map in your kit to follow evacuation routes.
- Stay informed with social media and/or local news media.
- Keep an extra cell phone and charger on-hand.
Look in your weekly ad for the Hurricane Preparedness Icon placed with suggested supplies.