Roast Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Mint Salad
Chicken and Marinade
- ½ cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 5 scallions, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled (or may substitute 1 teaspoon dried ginger)
- 1 habanero chile (to taste, see note above)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice (or 3 teaspoons whole allspice)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves (or ½ teaspoon whole cloves)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons regular molasses
- 1 ¼ cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces (or 4 pounds of desired chicken pieces, bones in and skin on)
- Lime wedges for serving
- 1 (3-pound) fresh pineapple, trimmed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse, flaky, or Kosher salt (or ½ teaspoon regular table salt)
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced thin
- Blend all ingredients except chicken and lime wedges in a blender or food processor until well blended and smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Transfer chicken and marinade to a gallon-sized zipper lock bag and seal the bag, pressing out any excess air.
- Toss chicken inside the bag several times to coat well.
- Place in the refrigerator for least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- If time allows, remove chicken from refrigerator for up to 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425F and place oven rack in middle position.
- Arrange chicken pieces in a 9x13 casserole dish or a baking pan with the skin side up and drizzle marinade over the pieces to coat.
- Roast the chicken for 50 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until chicken breasts reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees or dark meat reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving, spooning pan drippings over the chicken.
- Serve with steamed rice and pineapple side salad.
- Remove mint leaves from stems and coarsely chop.
- Toss all ingredients together.
- Serve with roasted chicken.
Visit your local Brookshire Brothers for all your real fresh, real delicious ingredients!
Angela Larson is a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) who works with Brookshire Brothers promoting real fresh, real delicious foods. Delicious food is her passion, so she loves trying new recipes and exploring the more holistic side of health and nutrition. When Angela isn't working with Brookshire Brothers, she's a mostly stay-at-home mom who loves to cook, garden, and spend time outdoors with her husband, Austin, and their two daughters.