Don't miss this year's Taste of the Holidays! Our annual tasting event is an easy and convenient way to plan for any occasion—Thanksgiving desserts and side dishes for an office party, a traditional Christmas buffet for a crowd, or just a cozy holiday dinner for friends and family. Here's how it works: sample festive favorites from our deli and bakery, fill out an order form with your top choices, and we'll put together your holiday dinner for you. Time saved? Lots. Tasty fun? Definitely. When and where? Saturday, November 9th from 10:30am-2:30pm (Friday, November 8th from 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm for Magnolia and Montgomery locations ONLY) at your local Brookshire Brothers.
AND DON'T FORGET: Get $5 OFF when you book a holiday meal with us at Taste of the Holidays!
Mrs. Lynne's Famous Holiday Party Punch
- One 2 liter bottle of Sprite, chilled
- One 2 liter bottle of Ginger Ale, chilled
- 25 ounces (one bottle) Sparkling Cider, chilled
- 12 ounces Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate, slightly thawed
- 64 ounces (one bottle) Cranberry Juice, chilled
- Fresh Cranberries
- Serves approximately 35 one-cup servings. Depending on party size, you may want to double or triple the recipe. When determining amount to make, take into consideration the size of your cups, and keep in mind that guests may want seconds (or even thirds).
- If you would like your party punch to have a little more “punch”, add champagne!
Real Fresh, Real Delicious: Roast Chicken
- Combine all ingredients except chicken and potatoes in a food processor or blender and blend, scraping down sides as needed, until a thin paste forms, about 30 seconds.
- Cut out chicken's backbone with a sharp knife or kitchen shears and open the chicken out flat with skin side up. With your palm, firmly press down the breast area to flatten (you should hear a snap when the breast bone breaks). Stuff most of the herb paste under skin (separate skin from meat gently with a spoon if needed), and spread remaining marinade all over the rest of the chicken (the easiest way to do this is in a casserole dish). Cover casserole dish and place in the refrigerator to marinate until ready to cook, up to 24 hours. The longer marinade time will make a more flavorful dish.
- When ready to begin cooking, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400F. Scatter potatoes evenly on a sheet pan. Sprinkle potatoes evenly with salt pepper to taste. Place chicken, skin side up, on top of potatoes. Pour any excess marinade from chicken over potatoes. Roast 70-90 minutes until the thigh meat reaches 175℉ on an instant read thermometer and the juices run clear. Check potatoes about halfway through cooking; if pan is dry, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Allow chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes before carving. Serve with potatoes and pan juices on the side.
Mediterranean Roast Chicken with Green Olives, Fennel Seeds, and Thyme
Peruvian Roast Chicken with Cilantro and Jalapeno Sauce
Cilantro and Jalapeno Sauce
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender for about 1 minute until all ingredients are smooth and well blended. Taste to adjust seasoning. Serve with Peruvian chicken.
Balsamic Roast Chicken and Potatoes
Visit your local Brookshire Brothers for all holiday needs!
(Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen)
- 1¼ cups dried cranberries or cherries
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted and chopped fine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup apple cider
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ¼ cups peeled and shredded sweet potato (about 1 small potato)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin tin with parchment liners or grease well. Finely chop ¼ cup cranberries and combine with ¼ cup toasted pecans. Set aside for topping.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch stainless skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.Cook, stirring pan constantly until has a nutty aroma and is dark golden brown, another 1 minute or so.Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk apple cider, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and orange zest into the browned butter until smooth. In a separate large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and cloves together. Using rubber spatula, stir the butter mixture until combined.Fold in sweet potato and remaining 1 cup cranberries and remaining ½ cup pecans.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs attached but no wet batter.Rotate muffin tin halfway through baking.
- Let muffins cool for 10 minutes before turning them out of muffin tin and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.Serve.
Visit your local Brookshire Brothers for all holiday needs!
‘Tis the season of giving… but that can add up pretty quickly if you’re shopping for friends, family, coworkers, cousins, neighbors, and more! Don’t stress. One gift that’s quick, easy, and cheap while still being thoughtfully creative is FOOD. Here’s a list of fun and simple ideas for edible gifts you can do without breaking the bank:
Fill quart-sized mason jars with different types of nuts and dried fruits as a beautiful and nutritious gift of trail mix. Try alternating layers of shelled pistachios with dried cranberries for a festive red-green treat that is sure to satisfy. Top with a piece of red or green construction paper, a piece of twine, and a gift tag to complete the presentation.
Find a nearby Brookshire Brothers to pick up any ingredients you don't already have on hand!
ALL BARK AND TASTY BITES
Chocolate bark is one of the easiest confections, and you can go as far as the North Pole in terms of flavor combinations! Just melt your favorite baking chocolate according to the package instructions, spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add mix-ins and toppings, and then refrigerate until hardened. One of my favorite colorful holiday combinations is white chocolate, crushed peppermints, and unsalted pistachios or pumpkin seeds. S’more bark is another fun take: chocolate + marshmallows + pieces of graham crackers + pecans = YUM.
EVERYONE LOVES BANANA BREAD
Banana Nut Bread is always a classic, plus it’s a great source of potassium and B vitamin! Check out my recipe for the best banana nut bread ever, which can easily be made into mini-loaves or muffins for easy distribution. Your friends and family will surely appreciate your loaves of love.
INFUSE OLIVE OIL WITH ROSEMARY
Olive oil is a unique gift with a bright shining halo of health in the world of nutrition. You can personalize the gift buy infusing it with rosemary. If time allows, you can easily personalize the gift by infusing the olive oil with rosemary. Dry whole sprigs of fresh rosemary by placing washed sprigs on a baking sheet. Put it in the oven for 2 - 4 hours on the lowest temperature setting. When the rosemary sprigs are brittle and have cooled, add to a bottle with your favorite extra virgin olive oil and allow it to infuse for a week or up to several months. Gift the oil for dipping with your favorite Brookshire Brothers artisan bakery bread. #BestNeighborEVER
For more on the health benefits of olive oil (as well as a recipe for an Easy Caprese Salad), read my ode here!
WARM UP WITH HOMEMADE SOUP
Share your Christmas spirit by the spoonful when you save your loved ones meal prep time with homemade soup! Fix your favorite wintertime soup, separate it into mason jars to distribute, and add a tag with freezing and re-heating instructions for a personal touch. This gift is delicious and easy to freeze if your friends/family want to save it for later. One of my favorites to share is winter squash soup—get the recipe here!
May your holidays be filled with delicious treats and special memories. Merry Christmas!
The Christmas season is here, full of parties galore! We’re here to serve your party-planning needs. What makes a celebration go from “fine” to “amazing”? Ordering party trays from your local Brookshire Brothers Bakery & Deli! With cookies, sliders, wings, fruit, vegetables, and more, we can bring the party. Call your store for more today!
Still are unsure of what to order? Take our advice and try one of these menus at your next Holiday Party!
Office Christmas Brunch
Start your party off with a Breakfast Tray filled with bite-sized pastries and scones. You can also grab a Bread Tray to pair with our Gourmet Meat & Cheese Tray from the deli. To finish off your brunch, grab a Mini Meatball Tray to satisfy your cravings.
No "Pot" Potluck
That's right. Throw a potluck party, but don't make yourself or your friends and family worry about what to cook. Forget the pots and pans and order trays! You can easily coordinate who can bring what tray to plan a beautiful dinner. Assign an appetizer, such as the Cheese Tray, to your friend down the street. Ask Mom to bring a Hors D'oeuvres Tray of her choosing - we suggest the stuffed peppers! You can take care of the Sandwich Tray and maybe even swing over a couple of aisles to grab some chips to go with it. And finish it off with a Cookie or Dessert Tray brought by your sister.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holi-Trays to you and your family!