Monday September 14, 2020
The Similarities of the Flu & COVID-19
Flu season is fast upon us and during the COVID-19 pandemic, the influenza vaccine will be integral to reduce the impact of respiratory illness in our communities. It is highly recommended that everyone get a flu vaccine this year, because we don't currently have a way to prevent COVID-19, outside of social distancing, practicing good hygiene, disinfecting commonly used surfaces and, of course, wearing a facial covering while out in public.
Common Symptoms of COVID-19 and the Flu:
- Fever or feeling feverish/chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle pain or body aches
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
Similarities and Differences between COVID-19 and Flu
Both COVID-19 and the flu have the following symptoms and are spread in similar ways.
- Transmitted through person to person contact or droplets from coughing, sneezing or talking.
- Transmitted by someone who isn’t showing signs of being sick or experiencing any symptoms.
- Can live on surfaces
- COVID-19 and Influenza are different types of viruses that can cause similar symptoms in humans.
- The Influenza virus does not live in the air for a certain amount of time.
- The flu spreads faster than COVID-19 and symptoms appear sooner. Flu symptoms become visible within 1-4 days while COVID-19 can take up to 14 days.
- COVID-19 is more deadly than the flu. The mortality rate for the flu is less than 1% of people infected while COVID-19 has a mortality rate of 4%-6% of people infected.
- The most important difference is – there is a vaccine to prevent the flu!
Visit any pharmacy for a flu shot today, no appointment necessary. To keep everyone safe, we have implemented new safety measures this year:
- All patients getting a flu shot are required to wear a mask.
- Visit here to complete our Patient Profile Form and Vaccine Consent Forms.
Visit your local Brookshire Brothers Pharmacy for all of your flu shot needs!
CATEGORIES: Healthy Living