Thursday February 27, 2014
A Rainbow of Nutrition for Your Family
Getting kids to eat fruit and vegetables isn't always easy…Here are some easy tips to make sure everyone gets at least 5 servings a day the easy way!
- Let your children help pick out a new fruit or vegetable to try.
- Fresh, frozen and canned fruit are all nutritious choices.
- Fresh and frozen vegetables are good choices.
- Use "no added salt" canned vegetables and drain the liquid off before using.
- When you get home wash and cut up fruits and vegetables. Then put them in the refrigerator in a clear container at eye level where everyone can see them when they go hunting for a snack.
- Put whole fruits such as apples, oranges, bananas in a basket or bowl on the counter for an easy-to-grab snack.
- Let your children help with some of the prep work such as washing the fruit and vegetables, tearing lettuce for a salad, or measuring frozen or canned vegetables. Older children can help peel, slice and chop as well.
- Model good eating habits-if your children see you eating healthy, so will they!
SNACK & MEALTIME IDEAS:
- Serve fruit and vegetables with a dip such as low-fat ranch, hummus, peanut butter, salsa, or yogurt.
- Blend frozen fruit with milk or yogurt and a drizzle of honey to make a smoothie
- Slowly introduce new fruits and vegetables by adding them in small amounts to salad, soup, casseroles, smoothies, etc.
- Make vegetable kabobs and cook on the grill.
- Add a rainbow of color to pizza by adding peppers, broccoli, pineapple, fresh tomato, or mushrooms before adding cheese.
- A good guideline to remember is that half your plate should be filled with fruits and/or vegetables.
RAINBOW FRUIT MINI-PIZZA
Kids young and old will enjoy this quick and easy fruit mini-pizza for breakfast, snack or dessert!
Prep time: 12 minutes. Makes 1 serving
1 Whole-Wheat waffle such as NutriGrain or Kashi
1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese, plain or fruit-flavored
2-3 Strawberries, sliced
2-3 Kiwi Slices
2 Tablespoons Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
3-4 Pineapple Chunks (fresh or canned)
- Toast waffle in toaster according to package directions.
- Spread cream cheese over toasted waffle.
- Arrange fruit on top of cream cheese.
- Cut in half or quarters, if desired and ENJOY!
Other fruits can be substituted-mix and match your favorites!
CATEGORIES: Healthy Living