Black Bean Sliders
Give guests a vegetarian option with these mini black bean burgers. They’re so appealing, meat eaters might have to give ’em a try.
- 1 can (7 oz) Green Giant™ Mexicorn® whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
- 2/3 cup Old El Paso™ Thick ’n Chunky medium salsa
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or yellow onion
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ plain bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 slices (3/4 oz each) Cheddar cheese, cut into quarters
- Bibb or leaf lettuce, torn into 20 small pieces
- In medium bowl, mix salsa ingredients. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium heat. Cook onion in oil 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In medium bowl, mash beans with potato masher or fork, leaving a few beans whole. Stir in egg, bread crumbs, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Add cooled onion; mix until thoroughly combined. Shape mixture into 20 (1-inch) balls, using about 1 scant tablespoon per ball.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Place half of the bean balls in skillet; with back of spatula, flatten balls into patties, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until browned. Remove from skillet; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and bean balls.
- Split buns in half. On each bun bottom, place lettuce piece, bean patty, cheese quarter and 1 heaping tablespoon corn salsa. Cover with bun tops.