(Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker)
12 medium Granny Smith or other cooking apples, peeled and cut into fourths — Don't forget to check your weekly ad for special savings on produce!
1½ cups packed brown sugar
½ cup apple juice
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until apples are very tender.
- Mash apples with potato masher or large fork.
- Cook uncovered on low heat setting 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick. Cool about 2 hours.
- Spoon apple butter into container. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.